15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

CHANDLER/GILA RIVER MEMORIAL (PRIVATE)

Started by cpasley, March 11, 2010, 06:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpasley

PV-2 "Harpoon" N7251C

FelipeG

Anyone has current information about access to this? I'm thinking about heading down this weekend to check it out.

Joe Copalman

John Ford threw some more recent shots up on Flickr a few months back, he might be a good guy to contact.  His photostream is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmford/.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

FelipeG

Oh I had already talked to him on flickr, he said he just drove in but I wasn't that sure about it. It was his photo of the Harpoon that made me think about heading down there.

Matt Ottosen

I think I would like to get out there one of these days too.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Joe Copalman

Well then, I've got nothing.  Is it tribally-owned, or does it have a private owner?

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Last I had heard it is on Tribal land and they have some kind of jurisdiction over it.  I think I recall reading that there was a developer trying to work a deal to turn it into "KSDL South" and make it an attractive alternative so people might fly in to go to Harrah's, Wild Horse Pass, Firebird Raceway and other South/East Valley stuff.

I have no idea though whatever became of that project.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

FelipeG

From what I've seen it's been on hold for some time, except most of the airplanes have been moved away. I'm trying to catch the two Harpoons and one Howard 500 that remain there. I think there's a couple of C-54s too.

Joe Copalman

Are those T&G/IAR aircraft that just never made the exodus to Coolidge?

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

phxtoad

Four or five years ago we were headed down to Rocky Point.  We were about to make the turn off I-10 to head down to Maricopa when I spotted a TBM at low altitude chugging thick black smoke trying to make Memorial.  Turns out it was Sam Korth and he barely got it down and shut down before the engine seized.  From what I heard, it was a bureaucratic nightmare trying to get the aircraft off the field afterwards.  Not sure which TBM it was...

Todd
Todd Lawrence

Rank Amateur at just about everything.