Gila Bend Fly-In Feb. 5th

Started by Chris Kennedy, January 21, 2011, 08:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Kennedy

This is opposite Coolidge, but I thought I would post it anyway. Where else can you get lawn mower racing along with airplanes, if anybody actually goes, that is?

Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

CJPalmer

What are the thought on best place this weekend? Will Coolidge be dead because of this?

Paul Dumm

Seems like it's more about lawn mower racing then any thing elas
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

Jay Beckman

Given the runway alignment at Gila Bend, if traffic is using 22 in the morning, you're shooting nearly straight into the sun and the ramp is a long way from the approach end.

Photographically speaking, Coolidge is the better bet.  Just my $0.02...

Gila Bend may let shooters wander around but we know what we can do at Coolidge.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Agreed.  I think the better shots are to be had at Coolidge, regardless of which gets heavier traffic.  February is usually pretty good at Coolidge, so hopefully the Gila Bend event won't sap too much of the traffic.  Weather looks good, and at least it's going to be warmer than 25º tomorrow morning.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Chris Kennedy

It might not be much warmer than 25 tomorrow morning. The forecast low for that area tonight is 26.

I don't think the Gila Bend event will be a major factor. It's only their second year, so it's not an established event, and I don't think lawnmower racing is going to be a major draw among pilots.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

CJPalmer

Sounds good. Coolidge was my preference. Pilots might get into the lawnmower races if they added wings and flew them. Actually, I think I've flown those, the Katana with the 80hp Rotax engine.  :)