SAAF 90th Anniversary Airshow, Swartkop 14/08/10

Started by dunny, August 25, 2010, 01:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunny

Hello,

This is my first full photo post and it's not AZ-related at all! Hopefully still of interest to you guys anyway. I was lucky enough to attend the South African Air Force 90th Anniversary airshow at AFB Swartkop a couple of weeks ago. There was some extremely rare stuff on display in the air, including most of the SAAF's modern equipment plus some older aircraft owned by the SAAF Museum.

Please, no comments on the shutter speed here – this was a flypast with the prop feathered!!

SAAF Museum Helicopter display included Alouette II, III and Puma! The Puma is no longer in service down here, having been replaced by the Oryx.

One of several unique formations – the SAA A319 with the Silver Falcons. This and the subsequent A319 demo, Silver Falcons display and "Thunder Formation" undoubtedly got the best light of the day.

A319 solo demo was very good too – very quiet and graceful:

"Thunder Formation" – another unique sight:

After the Thunder Formation landed (or departed in the case of the Mirage III and Hawk), the Gripen went up again to close the show in the last rays of the setting sun.This is probably the most capable aircraft on the continent of Africa, and displayed in the hands of "Bassett", one of the SAAF's most experienced pilots and (I think) chief Gripen test pilot at the TFDC.

For anyone interested, there are more photos and a full reprt here:
http://www.globalaviationresource.com/reports/2010/saaf90.php

Cheers,
Paul

Jay Beckman

Fantastic Series Paul!  Thanks for sharing these...

Do you happen to know Frans Dely by any chance?
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

dunny

Thanks Jay. I don't know Frans, although I have certainly seen his work. I actually live in the UK - I'm just fortunate enough to travel to South Africa (and PHX) now and again.

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Gorgeous light on those last few shots, especially the Gripen and the Impala.  That black Mirage is one of the slickest-looking aircraft I have ever seen, and those A109s look impossibly mean for such a sleek airframe.

Fantastic batch of shots.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jason Hyatt

Superb stuff, Dunneh!!! Thank you for sharing these with us. Man your job really sucks........  ::)
All images are © Jason Hyatt and may not be used without consent

"When one engine fails on a twin engine aircraft, you always have enough power to get you to the crash site." - Unknown

phantomphan1974

Great stuff Paul and its always nice to see stuff from outside the US...
Damon Duran
Co: Founder: Aviation Photographers of Southern California www.ApSoCal.com
Orange County Sheriff PSR-Air Support Unit Photographer

jslugman

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

wingsnstuff

Very nice to see your images of jets we rarely if ever get a chance to see, especially in South Africa colors.  Thanks for sharing them with us.