News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

FAA under pressure to open US skies to drones

Started by Chris V, June 14, 2010, 08:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

I'm just not sure this is a good idea.  No optical sensor on an umanned platform will have the same 360ยบ range of motion that a set of eyeballs on a human operator will have, and no image on a screen will have the resolution or perceptible depth of what the human eye can see. 

Also, I don't like the idea of police having a perpetual surveillance presence in the skies above our cities.

Speaking of which - anybody watch the final season of 24 and think "The FAA would never sign off on this crap" with regard to armed Reapers operating over NYC?
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

I'd be more "comfortable" sharing the sky with a UAV that's big enough to carry a transponder and can work in the same fashion as manned aircraft in the national airspace system.  The ones that would scare me to death as a pilot are the UAVs that state or local authorities would want to use.  The FAA has already had to slap the LA County Sherrif's pee pee and the LAPD for trying to put up drones.

We've all seen pictures of what an eight to 12-pound bundle of feathers and flesh can do to a small airplane so think about the same weight with several times more motive energy and tipped with a kevlar prop and metal engine!

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.