Airparks, Gate Guards, Memorials, and Planes on Sticks

Started by Joe Copalman, May 03, 2010, 11:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tower Guy

This is a very nice shot Joe for the challenge of not having a tripod.

Joe Copalman

FARMER BROWN'S FANTASTIC WHATCHAMAJIGGER

Carthage, Missouri.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

AERODYNAMIC INSPIRATION

Finally got a chance to shoot Embry-Riddle's ex-NASA F-104 while coming back from Flagstaff with Scott Colbath a few weeks back. 

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

John S

AH-1 at Veterens Memorial Park, Breckenridge, MN

Along I-80 about a mile before the exit for Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum, Ashland, NE

Joe Copalman

STOOF GONE OOF!

I was in Philly all of last week on a business trip, and this sculpture just happened to be on the route I walked between my hotel and the convention center every day.  I knew it was in Philly, but had no idea how close it was to my hotel until the day before I left when Paul Dunn (who had just flown the LHR to PHL route and was overnighting there) sent me an IM with a phone shot he took of it.  I considered bringing my tripod, flash, and gels for some proper lightpainted night shots of it, but my wife said "Don't do anything stupid like go out and take pictures at night in a stabby part of town," and not knowing how stabby the area got at night, I let discretion be the better part of valor (and baggage fees).  As you can see, lightpainting was out of the question with all the lights there, but a tripod certainly would have helped.  I had to settle for handheld shots at ISO 8000.  And I didn't get stabbed.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Nice work Joe, it is kind of amazing that someone bought off on this as artwork. All in the eye of the beholder I guess. It is pretty cool anyway, looks more like an NTSB site.  ;D Your wife was totally correct about Philly, I would not walk the streets after dark, city of brotherly love, NOT.

Joe Copalman

PENSACOBRA

I stopped for a quick bite in Pensacola on my drive from New Orleans to Hurlburt Field last month, and Google Maps took me on some convoluted route that took me past this weathered but still-attractive AH-1J on a pole.  I think the J is the best-looking Cobra variant ever produced, so I had to shoot it.  Sadly, I didn't have a tripod on this trip, so high ISO and wide aperture it was. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Very nice Joe, you don't need no stinkn' tripod man!

Joe Copalman

DESTINATION MOON

Really cool rocketship statue atop what I believe was an ice cream stand just outside the Wings Over the Rockies Museum up in Colorado.  Shot with my Lensbaby Composer + Sweet 60 Optic.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Ross Dinsdale

Turd Ferguson
Las Vegas, Nevada
Comments and Critique are always welcome.

"Chair Juggling Extraordinaire"