Main Menu

Last launch of the Space Shuttle Endeavor

Started by Dave S., May 18, 2011, 10:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave S.

Two trips to Florida within two weeks for three people: over $1000
Rental 500mm prime lens: Too much $
Hotels and rental cars: again, way too much $

Standing next to your daughter as she is awed beyond words at watching a live space shuttle launch: PRICELESS!

Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Ned Harris

Dave: Sounds like it was worth every penny. Glad you were able to do it.
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Hellyeah.  So glad you were able to make it.  And you got some pretty good shots in spite of the ridiculous distance.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

BillOz

Oh Yeah, that's an awesome experience.  One that will not be available but once more.

Even without photos it would have been a great experience.

Congrats.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Matt Ottosen

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!  Something I've always wanted to see in person, but it looks like I'll never have the chance.  Ashlie and I actually thought about flying out this past Sunday morning.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

jslugman

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Dave S.

Senor James,

Not only was it an awesome experience to watch, but we also heard it and felt it.  One anecdotal point about the sound; we didn't hear a thing until after it had disappeared into the clouds.  That's how long it took for the sound of ignition, and subsequent launch, to travel the ~ 6 miles to our viewing location.  But once that sound arrived, holy cow, was it awesome too.  It's just amazing what ~ 7.5 million pounds of thrust sounds like and feels like!

Have I mentioned how bright the exhaust was from the two Solid Rocket Boosters?  Think 'surface of the sun' kind of bright.  So glad I had selected Manual mode (had to, I was too close for missiles - super cheesy Top Gun reference ;) ), otherwise the brightness would have totally screwed up any attempt at an 'in camera' metering.

By the way, there is one more launch remaining, tentatively scheduled for July 8th - if anyone is interested in battling about 999,999 other people intent on watching it also.

- Dave
www.roxphotography.com

Dave S.

I had taken a second body, and using a remote trigger, tried to take a complete set of the launch sequence from before engine start until Endeavor was out of frame.  All of this executed perfectly, except for some bad timing info the I received from a fellow bystander/photographer.  She gave me my 30 second warning about 15 seconds too early.  The result is that I missed the last portions of Endeavor's launch, right before she disappeared into the cloud layer.

BUT, I still ended up with this launch sequence, which I am more than pleased with.  Any feedback about the horizon in each shot?  When I stitched them together, the alignment between each shot is off just enough to cause me a little twang of displeasure.
www.roxphotography.com