Another Color to Monochrome Conversion - Thoughts?

Started by Jeff D. Welker, December 08, 2014, 07:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

After posting this as a color image, I got to thinking this Wright R-3350 Duplex-Cyclone might be a good candidate for conversion to monochrome. I wondered if the "gritty" details, textures and contrasts (the things that originally attracted me to photograph this radial engine) might become more impactful if the color was removed. I decided to challenge myself further by making the conversion completely in Lightroom, rather than using my standard workflow with the plug-in - Silver Efex Pro 2 in Photoshop. Nothing wrong with SEP2, but I wanted to explore the full potential for monochrome conversions in LR. I performed the initial conversion using the "HSL/Color/B&W" adjustment module and used the "Split Toning" adjustments to create my interpretation of a platinum/palladium toned image. I also cropped the image from the native 3:2 aspect ratio to a more traditional 5:4/8x10 framing. I wondered if the color version I posted had an "off-center" or "right-heavy" feel in my original framing (no crop used). By going to the 5:4/8x10 crop, I was able to bring the Wright R-3350 more to the center. I'm not 100% convinced that is the best framing to present this subject. I sometimes think that having the primary subject a slightly off-center creates a more interesting image?

Enough said on my end. Comments and criticisms are encouraged and appreciated.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Dave S.

Jeff,

My $0.02: I prefer your original, color version.  For me, the two things that I prefer in that version are the framing and the dirt that's been embedded in the oil streaks on the props.  While the B&W does lend some 'texture' of the oil streaks on the props, the color version adds (in my mind) some historical context to the oil with the dirt that the oil has 'captured'.  That carries over into the historical context, vs. the BW version that lacks the color info and could be a shot of an engine that had a problem/oil leak.  The rust or dirt that is on the exposed engine frame (and the leading edge of the wing, left of the engine) also contributes to the historical perspective vs. an engine with a leak.

On a side note, what lens and aperture did you use here?  I really like the 'transition' to bokeh that begins with the cowl flaps, progresses through that wing's leading edge and fuselage windows and then onto at the rudder...mmm, creamy.
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Dave S. on December 08, 2014, 08:14:28 AM
Jeff,

My $0.02: I prefer your original, color version.  For me, the two things that I prefer in that version are the framing and the dirt that's been embedded in the oil streaks on the props.  While the B&W does lend some 'texture' of the oil streaks on the props, the color version adds (in my mind) some historical context to the oil with the dirt that the oil has 'captured'.  That carries over into the historical context, vs. the BW version that lacks the color info and could be a shot of an engine that had a problem/oil leak.  The rust or dirt that is on the exposed engine frame (and the leading edge of the wing, left of the engine) also contributes to the historical perspective vs. an engine with a leak.

On a side note, what lens and aperture did you use here?  I really like the 'transition' to bokeh that begins with the cowl flaps, progresses through that wing's leading edge and fuselage windows and then onto at the rudder...mmm, creamy.

Thanks Dave for your thoughtful comments. I had not taken the historical context into account. An interesting point (i.e. historic context v. artsy fartsy) that I need to consider when making these evaluations in the future. As you know, I'm not as versed as most on the historic nature of some of the aircraft we photograph. Accordingly, not something I generally ponder. Much appreciated sir.

Regarding the lens. I shot this with my Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM. As far as I am concerned, it is the best lens I own. I shot everything Saturday morning at f/2.8 for the very purpose of using the bokeh to separate my primary subject from any distracting elements. On the typical bright sunny mornings we have at Coolidge I would have needed to use one of my neutral density filters to shoot at f/2.8. But Mother Nature provided her own filter in the form of heavy overcast - I was in hog heaven. As a side note, while this lens has the finest bokeh rendering of the few lenses in my humble camera case, the Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM is off the charts my favorite Canon lens for creamy bokeh. Jay has a terrific copy of this lens and I've been plotting to abscond with it the next time Jay isn't looking  ;)
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Jeff, I am a huge monochrome fan. In this case however I do prefer the color version for all of the reasons that Dave mentioned. There is just so much warm color and texture that this shot doesn't convert and jump out at you like some conversions do. My humble opinion Sir Jeff.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Tower Guy on December 08, 2014, 09:42:45 AM
Jeff, I am a huge monochrome fan. In this case however I do prefer the color version for all of the reasons that Dave mentioned. There is just so much warm color and texture that this shot doesn't convert and jump out at you like some conversions do. My humble opinion Sir Jeff.

Thanks Harvey. I know of your affection for colorless imagery and hoped you'd wade into this discussion. One of the things that attracts me to the color version is the muted blue and red stripe on the fuselage. While it isn't a primary element, it does add to the image in a way the monochrome does not.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

After going back and forth a few times I'm going to agree with Dave and Harvey on this one.  The colors are just too rich to let go of.  My eye tends to concentrate more on the engine in the monochrome version so maybe a tighter crop could work for that...maybe.  I think if it were printed at a large size it would benefit by virtue of the small details becoming more apparent.  Both have their merits, tough call.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

John B.

Jeff:  FWIW I think everyone is basically right.  This is one of those instances where the colors bring out the overall condition much better.  It seems strange to say in many ways, but your color version actually looks "grittier" than the black and white version.  This is one of those cases where the B & W has a smoother look than the color.  Depending on processing we might expect the opposite, but in this case the color wins!

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Scott Youmans on December 08, 2014, 09:37:22 PM
After going back and forth a few times I'm going to agree with Dave and Harvey on this one.  The colors are just too rich to let go of.  My eye tends to concentrate more on the engine in the monochrome version so maybe a tighter crop could work for that...maybe.  I think if it were printed at a large size it would benefit by virtue of the small details becoming more apparent.  Both have their merits, tough call.

Quote from: John B. on December 09, 2014, 08:22:33 AM
Jeff:  FWIW I think everyone is basically right.  This is one of those instances where the colors bring out the overall condition much better.  It seems strange to say in many ways, but your color version actually looks "grittier" than the black and white version.  This is one of those cases where the B & W has a smoother look than the color.  Depending on processing we might expect the opposite, but in this case the color wins!

Thanks Scott and John. I sincerely appreciate your thoughtful assessments. Any thoughts regarding the 3:2 versus 8x10 (5:4) crop?

With the "thumbs-up" for the color version, I'm considering having a quality metallic print made. Anyone have recommendations for a lab that does excellent metallic printing? I've gotten a reference in the past for http://www.magnachrome.com, but I have no experience with them.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ