Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Anna M. Wood

Eric Curry's light painting work is pretty neat as well.  He has done several aircraft scenes. 

http://americanprideandpassion.com/photographs.php

A technique I would like to try out sometime.

Jay Beckman

There's a key difference here though...

Pretty sure Eric "builds" his scenes by lighting specific sections and then layering them in Photoshop into a finished image.

My take on Ross is that he works in one frame with a very long exposure and builds the image by multiple light passes where desired.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Thanks for sharing those links, Jeff. Really digging the Ross stuff.

Curry's stuff is too busy, and the light is too splotchy.  My eyes are almost drawn more to the dark spots than they are to the lighted spots. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Anna M. Wood

I like both techniques....   Each with their own style.

There is definitely a richness to Harold Ross' work.   Like a fine painting.

Very inspiring work.

Joe Copalman

Oh, both are talented as all get-out, and Curry's got some top-notch imagery on his site.  I think his strongest images are his more minimalist ones.  The "country bicycle" and "dark tree" shots are the standouts for me. 

Several of his "scene" images just feel claustrophobic, like there's too much stuff crammed into the frame, and lit in a way that makes the smaller details compete for the viewer's attention, rather than complement the subject.  His F-102 shot in the hangar is - to me - his strongest aviation shot.  He lets his subject be the subject, yet he keeps the "diorama" feel of his other shots by including a few supporting details that aren't as conspicuously lit.     
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ