News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Memory card woes

Started by scottcolbath, February 26, 2013, 03:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottcolbath

I picked up a new 32GB Sandisk UDMA77 90MB card last week. I used it at NAF El Centro. It seemed to push data from the camera to the card very slowly. After getting home, I finally got around to doing the firmware upgrade on my 7D to see if that made a difference. Well, it did.  ???

I used a 4GB card for the upgrade, then tossed the 32GB card in, formatted it, and took a shot. It worked fine for a single shot. I tried burst mode. It rattled off about 25 frames without stopping. Nice. Then when the camera finished dumping to the card, I get an error telling me I need to reformat the card. No pics ever made it to the card.

Every other memory card works fine in my 7D. I still need to check a few things, such as does the 32GB card work in burst mode in my 5D Mk2, or does the card work in slower burst mode on the 7D, but I'm thinking the card is wonky. Any opinions?

S.C.

Chris Kennedy

Sounds like it could be a bad card. I've heard there are some counterfeit Sandisk cards out there. Did you buy it cheap?
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

scottcolbath

Quote from: Chris Kennedy on February 26, 2013, 04:08:16 PM
Sounds like it could be a bad card. I've heard there are some counterfeit Sandisk cards out there. Did you buy it cheap?

Came from B&H, along with my carbon tripod and 580 EX2.

S.C.

Chris Kennedy

Probably not a fake then. You might want to check SanDisk support on the web and see if they have any suggestions. I use SanDisk Ultra cards in my 7D and haven't had any problems.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

scottcolbath

Quote from: Chris Kennedy on February 26, 2013, 06:46:24 PM
Probably not a fake then. You might want to check SanDisk support on the web and see if they have any suggestions. I use SanDisk Ultra cards in my 7D and haven't had any problems.

I'll check the website. Thanks.

Anyway, further playing around shows that it works fine in my 5D Mk2, and it worked (although very slowly) in my pre-upgraded 7D. Post 7D firmware upgrade left me with single shot capability only. No burst mode. So, it seems to be generally 7D unfriendly. Odd.

S.C.

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

scottcolbath

Quote from: Scott Youmans on February 26, 2013, 08:47:26 PM
Haven't read all this but might be related:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1002312

It references an old firmware upgrade (1.2.3) which helped similar problems. If I'm not mistaken, all old fixed are rolled up into the most current firmware, so the 2.0.3 should have those fixes. I'm guessing this is just a bad card. The super slow buffer dump was my first clue something was not right. I hope a new card fixes this.

S.C.

scottcolbath

Well, the new card showed up today and it works perfectly. Problem solved.

S.C.