News:

In Memory of Jay Beckmam
1961 - 2023

Main Menu

RITZ Camera - Bankrupt

Started by Matt Ottosen, September 24, 2012, 01:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Ottosen

All stores are currently in the process of closing and are offering discounts on remaining merchandise.  RITZ has canceled all existing ESPs, I was given this when I was there today:

A Notice to Our ESP Customers:

Due to recent developments in Ritz Camera and Image's bankruptcy case, the company is no longer able to fulfill ESP or replacement.  If the ESP was purchased in New York, Florida, Oregon or on-line through RitzCamera.com, the warranty is covered by NEW.  You can contact them at (800) 285-4639.  If the ESP was purchased at one of our other locations, we will be unable to cover the repair directly.  If the camera is still under the manufacturer's warranty, go to the manufacturer's individual website, and use the service and support page to find the best service solution for your product.  If there is a charge for the repair, you can file a claim through the bankruptcy process through Kurtzman Carson Consultants LLC ("KCC") at http://www.kccllc.net.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Joe Copalman

Wow, I had no idea they still had locations in Arizona.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Years ago I bought a Nikon video camera from a local camera store when I lived in another state.  I had purchased an extended warranty and just before the five years was up it died.  In the meantime the local shop had been purchased by Ritz.  I practically had to threaten them with a law suit to get them to honor the warranty.  Even then it was partial coverage.  In all fairness the store near me at the Colonade was decent at least when I used to go there.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

scottcolbath

I got my first digital camera at Ritz back in 2004. It's also where I first held the Canon 30D, felt that heft of a metal body, and knew I had to get back in to DSLR photography.

S.C.

Scott Youmans

Scott, Ritz is where I bought my first "real" digital camera, an EOS-10D.  That was quite a step.  I still remember taking it out of the box.  Very nice solid body, not all that different from the current bodies except for the tiny LCD. My neice still has it.  Not that anybody cares...
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

scottcolbath

Quote from: Scott Youmans on September 25, 2012, 04:57:19 PM
Scott, Ritz is where I bought my first "real" digital camera, an EOS-10D.  That was quite a step.  I still remember taking it out of the box.  Very nice solid body, not all that different from the current bodies except for the tiny LCD. My neice still has it.  Not that anybody cares...

Don't ever let that camera go. I'm sure the memories alone are worth hanging on to it.

S.C.

FelipeG

I have only visited Ritz stores a few times.

First visit ever was in a mall in Tucson, I was looking for something for my P&S back in the day, we were visiting PASM from Mexico, that was a good 13 hr drive or so.

Second time was in San Antonio, TX, bought a bunch of things for my XT (filters, memory cards, etc), I really liked that store.

I did visit both the San Antonio store and the Prescott store a few times after that. The Prescott store felt incomplete and empty, it closed with the first round of store closures but I didn't know until I was looking for something, walked the mall back and forth 3 times and concluded that the empty store in the area I remember the Ritz was used to be Ritz.

I almost bought my Rebel XT (1st DSLR) at Ritz, however, we moved to Panama, so I ended up getting there instead, paid the same price (plus 5% Panamanian sales tax) and had to settle for a silver body (originally wanted the black one) and I learned to love the silver body. And I'm still emotionally attached to that camera.

wingsnstuff

I purchased my first two digital cameras from RITZ.  The first a Nikon 5700 and the second a Nikon D80.  There services was always good, but their supplies were always low.  For the sake of their employees, I hope they (RITZ) get their collective act together.