News:

In Memory of Jay Beckmam
1961 - 2023

Main Menu

AW&ST Photo Contest 2012

Started by Jay Beckman, September 14, 2012, 01:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Beckman

Just got an email notice that the contest is on.  Deadline is October 8 (but they may extend that.  They have in the past...)

https://a1.ecom01.com/aweek/photo_contest/
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Bubak

Entrance Fees and Entry Submissions: $50.00 (U.S.) for submission of up to 10 photos. For each additional photo submitted, add $5.00 (U.S.) per photo. Payment will be by credit card. Fill out the entry form, upload your photos and pay at www.aviationweek.com/photo. Photography will not be returned after the issue is published. All entries become the sole property of Aviation Week.

.......you give up rights for you pictures and you pay for it?

Jay Beckman

I doubled my money and I still have the shots...  ;)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

BillOz

Wish I had 10 shots over the past year that were worthy of AW&ST.

Good Luck guys.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

scottcolbath

This seems more like a popularity lottery than a photo contest. That aside, $50 for ten shots is not a horrible price to pay. Between trips to El Centro and Goldwater, many of us must have ten good shots. It's worth the money from a growing perspective, if nothing else. Enter your shots, pay the money, see how they are received. I think I'm doing this.

S.C.

Bubak

It's worth the money for AW&ST.  They get 1000s pictures, and entries become the sole property of Aviation Week, they can sell , edit the pictures .......

Scott Youmans

Not saying I won't enter, but AW&ST is getting PAID for a LOT of photos.  The lottery analogy is a good one.  You pay 50 bucks and just maybe you get to say you had a picture in a magazine.  And whether they do or don't publish it you've just lost the rights to 10 of your best photos.  Hmmm....

Jay, you still have the shots but can you sell them or am I not understanding the rules?  Of course we mostly have multiple shots of more or less the same thing so giving up one exposure might not be the end of the world!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Paul Dumm

I think that you still have the photo and can sell it all you whant too, but AW&ST can use your photo how every they choose too from there on out and they do not have to pay you a dime. In fact you paided them to use your photo.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

Scott Youmans

That's a better arrangement for sure!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jay Beckman

I've yet to find any of my entries from last year anywhere but their website or the magazine.

<shrug>

Can't be that bad because it still attracts a lot of top talent every year.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Scott Youmans

As long as the photographer can still use the photos it's a decent opportunity. I was thinking AW&ST was getting exclusive rights.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

BillOz

The past Photo Contests have had some excellent images.  I have a few of the past contest winner editions.

Two of the rules that I expect are not adhered to real well, specially the following part of rule #2

"Electronically retouched or altered digital images are not acceptable."

Not sure to what level of retouching and editing they mean, but I know some of the past winners have definitely had editing done to them.

Then  rule.
"3) Photos: Only photography shot after Oct. 1, 2011, may be submitted"
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Scott Youmans

Quote "no increase in saturation...will be allowed".  Does that mean I can't use the "Landscape" Picture Style on my camera?  Hmmm.  Just guessing but I'd say that will knock out about 99% of the entries if strictly adhered to.  I know what they're getting at. We've all seen overly saturated photos, of course, I've never done it....uh well, uh...maybe sometimes. ;)
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved