News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Avengers lose six Harriers to base attack in Afghanistan.

Started by Joe Copalman, September 15, 2012, 07:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

Just heard about this.  Afghans wearing US Army uniforms destroyed six Harriers on the ground at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan and damaged another two.  

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57513697/attackers-in-afghanistan-wore-u.s-uniforms/

Looking for more info on the attack.  Two Marines killed, a few civilian contractors injured as well.  Apparently it's the base Prince Harry is currently stationed at and he was the intended target of the insurgents.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Ned Harris

On April 17th 2012 I was at MCAS Yuma photographing the WTI action when 6 of the VMA-211 Avengers took off in quick succession. They were all carrying ferry tanks and I subsequently learned that they were deploying to Afghanistan. I believe these are likely the 6 Harriers that were destroyed.

_92W6224 AV-8B+ Harrier II by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Joe Copalman

Ned, I believe the full squadron had deployed, which I believe is sixteen aircraft.  But yeah, there's a chance that some of the birds you caught that day may be the ones that were destroyed or damaged.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Chris Kennedy

I read that there were 10 aircraft from this squadron deployed and that the remaining two undamaged ones are on their way back home.

Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Scott Youmans

Long live the Avengers
Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of what the Marines can dish out right about now.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jay Beckman

Unfortunately Scott, they can only dish out what NCA allows...

More's the pity.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Scott Youmans

Yes, That's true.  I chose the word "can" to imply capability rather than suggesting that they will retaliate in some way.  To us this loss is a little closer to home than most in that war but the guys on the ground are taking casualties on a regular basis and certainly their lives are equally precious.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved