Over 3300 Photos all black, or why not to leave your Camera turned ON in the bag

Started by BillOz, August 05, 2012, 09:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillOz

So after going out to Sky Harbor yesterday, I put the CF card in the reader to download the images onto the computer.
There's over 5300 files, which bums me because I wasn't wanting to sort through putting them into different folders.  I didn't think it had been that long since I downloaded from that camera.

So I start transferring files into folders for different photo subjects, when I come across some files that are all black.  I keep scrolling down and more and more black files.  Wondering WTF is going on, I notice the file size is only in the 500-600k range.  So I keep scrolling down the file list.
Turns out there were 3313 files that were all black.  Remembering that a couple weeks ago, I got my camera out of the camera bag to find the battery dead when I went to take a shot, when I remembered having put a freshly charged battery in only the day before, and I had not taken many shots after that.

So after putting my camera away after shooting some horses down at the river, I obviously put the camera in the camera bag still turned ON, and the shutter button must have been pressed by something in the bag, and just started firing away at 6 frames per sec., until the battery died.

There were 3313 photos of the lens cap.  Not bad for one battery charge.  But looking through the file details it is apparent that the camera shot for about 900 shots continuously shooting, then died for about 3 min. then shot 245 shots, then dies for about 4 min., then shot almost 700 shots, then died for about 12 minutes, and kept up the shooting, then brief pauses of 5 to 16 minutes, then shooting for a total of about 1 hour and 16 min. until the battery finally gave out, or the shutter wasn't being pressed any longer.

So if you leave your camera turned on so it will always be ready to grab and shoot, make sure it is sitting in the camera bag in a manner where the shutter button will not be accidently pushed continuously for a long period of time.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com