Which to buy? Canon 24-105 F/4 IS L or 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM?

Started by scottcolbath, February 07, 2012, 12:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottcolbath

Quote from: Jay Beckman on February 09, 2012, 01:22:06 PM
You won't be disappointed Scott...

(Although you might start to walk with a list.  There's a reason the 24-70 is nicknamed "The Brick")

I'm built like a pack mule.I can take it.  ;D

Chris, I'm not ready to pay that much more for the new version of the 24-70. I'm going to be interested to see some comparisons on it. Will it be worth that much more money? The price is more than double the still current version.

S.C.

Chris Kennedy

Quote from: scottcolbath on February 09, 2012, 02:38:17 PM
Chris, I'm not ready to pay that much more for the new version of the 24-70. I'm going to be interested to see some comparisons on it. Will it be worth that much more money? The price is more than double the still current version.

S.C.

I wondered about that, but you did have the II in your heading, so I thought you were talking about the new one.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Jay Beckman

FWIW, the MTF Charts published for the 24-70 MkII show a very similar gain in quality as those for the 70-200 f/2.8L IS MkII.

Real world tests have shown that the 70-200 MkII lives up to the theoretical gains promised by its MTF Charts and by the new "4-stop IS"

If past is prologue, the new 24-70 will probably perform a tad better than the current model. 
Whether or not that improvement is worth the dinero, however, is a question that you'll have to ask yourself!
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

scottcolbath

Quote from: Chris Kennedy on February 09, 2012, 02:55:02 PM
Quote from: scottcolbath on February 09, 2012, 02:38:17 PM

S.C.

I wondered about that, but you did have the II in your heading, so I thought you were talking about the new one.

Oh hell! I did a cut and paste from B&H while doing my poking around and I missed that. Sorry.

S.C.

scottcolbath

I just placed the order for my 24-70, along with the Hoya circular polarizer filter. Should be here on Wednesday, just in time for my trip to Sandy Eggo.  8)

S.C.

scottcolbath

I feel the need for a haiku.......

Why? UPS Man
Sitting Waiting Still No Lens
Two day Shipping Fail

I have to leave the house at 2:30 and he will likely show up at 2:35.  >:(

S.C.

scottcolbath