News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Winslow Airport

Started by Jeff D. Welker, June 09, 2011, 11:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

With all the talk of tankers operating out of Winslow, I've been doing some research on the airport with a possible photo visit in mind. According to Wikipedia, this airport has some history that I thought folks might find interesting.

"The airport was founded and paid for in 1929 by Howard HughesTranscontinental Air Transport as a a transcontinental air route for Hughe's aircraft company (later TWA). The airport was paid for by Howard Hughes and designed by Charles Lindbergh while on his honeymoon. Lindbergh stayed at the La Posada in Winslow while working on it. For many years it was the ONLY all weather airport between Albuquerque, New Mexico,and Los Angeles, CA. During World War II the airfield was used by the United States Army Air Force Air Transport Command as a training base for pilots".

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Paul Dumm

I beleve if you also check Jeff, Lindbergh stoped there on his way to New York to head out over the Pond.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

Jay Beckman

Didn't he also have a hand in the dedication of Tucson as well?
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Dave S.

The (in)famous YB-49, Northrop's first all-jet flying wing, once made an emergency landing there too.  I've stopped there a couple of times, fuel & potty breaks, during flights up and around the four corners area.
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Jay Beckman

A really bad look at Winslow from the air.  IIRC, I was heading roughly south working my way back from Page in a C172SP @ 10500' when I snapped this back in like 2006 or 2007...

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

bilwor

Here three shots from Winslow Air Tanker Base in 2002 during the Rodeo/Chediski fire and a couple from 1996 during unremembered fire.. They are scans from prints and are not the best photographically but show what was typically flying then. Lots of smoke in the air.

bill word
Tucson, AZ

jslugman

Very neat images Bill, you've been keeping your scanner busy lately!
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"