Started by Chris Kennedy, April 20, 2011, 05:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Kennedy

Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Jay Beckman

Surprisingly lucid comments below the article as well.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Chris Kennedy

Quote from: Jay Beckman on April 20, 2011, 06:03:59 PM

Pretty amazing, actually. Nobody has blamed anything on President Obama or illegal immigrants (yet), and no personal attacks on the other people leaving comments.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Jeff D. Welker

Willie has always been involved in these types of debates. This is not the first and it sure won't be the last.

Mesa's current mayor (Scott Smith) is a pilot and has a plane hangered at Falcon (a nice Cirrus). He has a serious passion for aviation and has worked diligently to protect Willie since he was elected. 20 years ago I was involved with an effort by Mesa to purchase a nearly vacant (at that time) residential subdivision on the north side of Germann Road - just west of Ellsworth. Mesa was prepared to buy the six existing homes and 29 vacant lots to help protect the south side of Willie. Unfortunately, the lot/home owners would not sell and Mesa could not force them to do so - there are now 35 homes there.

Mesa has historically resisted the temptation to generate quick revenue by approving inappropriate residential housing within the Willie boundaries. Typically, residential development occurs at a much faster rate than commercial/industrial/education. Jurisdictions have to be disciplined to "stay the course" with Willie over the many years (i.e. read decades) it will take to develop in a manner consistent with the long-range airport plans. As you might imagine, in these tough economic times any City (including Mesa) would love to see large development come their way. That being said, I don't believe Mesa will allow any residential development that would endanger the long-range viability of the airport in any way. Mesa and its partners at Willie (i.e. Phoenix, Gilbert, Chandler, ASU, Cessna, Hawker-Beech, Boeing, etc) have all invested literally millions of dollars in the past decade improving Willie. I don't think collectively or individually they will throw that money away just to realize a quick buck on some house permits.

I think it is prudent for interested citizens to stay informed on these types of issues. That being said, many over-react with the notion that there is some nefarious plan afoot at city hall involving an illicit partnership that was arranged in a dark, smoke-filled, room. I used to be one of those "pointy-headed" bureaucrats at Mesa and have an opinion/belief that Mesa's current and future leadership will take good care of Willie. As many people have already said, Willie is truly Mesa's "golden goose" for the long haul.

Sorry to palaver on this issue. I am obviously passionate about Willie - both personally and professionally.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

jslugman

Damn Jeff, I had to look up palaver; that's serious big-word-of-the-month stuff there friend.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

John B.

Quote from: Jay Beckman on April 20, 2011, 06:03:59 PM

That is a surprise!  I am glad to see that everybody that posted (so far) grasps the idea that a new residential neighborhood near an airport isn't really the brightest of ideas.  The lesson I have learned from down here is that the folks complaining are in a distinct minority.  The only drawback is that DMAFB (for example) goes out of its way and bends over backwards to placate the complainers. 

jslugman

You know, if you buy a house near an airport you should have to sign some sort of agreement, attached in perpetuity to the property, acknowledging that: 1) it is near an airport 2) you recognize that it is near an airport 3) property near an airport is subject to noise 4) you waive the right to whine/sue because the property actually conforms to parts 1-3. GAH!  >:(
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Rob Silliman

Quote from: jslugman on April 27, 2011, 04:38:25 PM
You know, if you buy a house near an airport you should have to sign some sort of agreement, attached in perpetuity to the property, acknowledging that: 1) it is near an airport 2) you recognize that it is near an airport 3) property near an airport is subject to noise 4) you waive the right to whine/sue because the property actually conforms to parts 1-3. GAH!  >:(

You actually do - in a way.  As part of buying a house (at least in Az), there is a property disclosure form from the seller.  And one of the items is "airport nearby".  Now it all depends on your definition of 'nearby'.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: jslugman on April 27, 2011, 04:38:25 PM

Hey James - With new developments, that is precisely what they do. Unfortunately, that does not stop folks from carping. It seems to work best with the first/original home owner. After that, subsequent owners simply cry ignorance and/or blame their realtors for not reading them the fine print. Regarding whining and suing, filing frivolous lawsuits and pissing/moaning at elected officials it is one of our basic rights as citizens. There is no way to stop it. It is simply a fact of life for airports.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

A healthy dose of common sense would cut down on such issues...

So would a mass deportation of lawyers.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Joe Copalman

This applies to existing homes as well, as airport noise is one of the items listed on Seller Property Disclosure forms. 

Buyers actually sign and initial these forms, so they are officially declaring "Yes, I am aware of the noise, and yes, I am cool with it."   Yet they STILL complain. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

cpasley

I say tattoo on the forhead should also be requiered and a bumper sticker that says "I Love Jet Noise"

Joe Copalman

I actually had an "I ♥ Airplane Noise" bumper sticker on my old car.  Someone scratched it up with a key in the parking lot at Metrocenter Mall.  Gotta love those quiet-skies folks.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

cpasley

Unfortunately thats where I live, only aviation folks around me know is the infamous "ghetto bird"