News:

In Memory of Jay Beckmam
1961 - 2023

Main Menu

Garmin GPS & T-38?

Started by Jeff D. Welker, April 25, 2011, 08:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

I was working on an image of a T-38 this evening and noticed something interesting on the backseat instrument panel. I've cropped the image and lightened it to help make the object easier to identify. To my untrained eye, it looks just like a Garmin GPS unit I got once with a Hertz rent-a-car in Jackson Hole, WY.

Is this standard issue for the military or do you think an enterprising pilot velcro'd one on the dash? Maybe they are going bass fishing? Please enlighten this humble photographer.

Primary Image

Crop
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Chris Kennedy

Looks like a Garmin GPSMAP 196. It's designed for aircraft, but I doubt if it's standard issue.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=156&pID=208

Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Jay Beckman

I'd guess they're maybe Garmin 496s which can display XM Weather as well as airport diagrams.

You'll generally only find them in the backseat with the Instructor Pilot.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Joe Copalman

Unrelated to the GPS discussion, but the first shot shows the narrower intakes and un-vented exhaust nozzles of the T-38A rather well (referencing the recent discussion in the T-38 thread regarding the Propulsion Modernization Program). 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Quote from: Joe Copalman on April 26, 2011, 12:28:03 AM
Unrelated to the GPS discussion, but the first shot shows the narrower intakes and un-vented exhaust nozzles of the T-38A rather well (referencing the recent discussion in the T-38 thread regarding the Propulsion Modernization Program). 

Ah So!  Good eye there Joe!!  ;D
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com