News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Google Acquisition of Flickr

Started by wingsnstuff, January 23, 2012, 09:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingsnstuff

Received a notice from Flickr Piqnik regarding some changes that are on the horizon.  The first being that Picnik goes away as of April 19th.  It will be replaced by a Google product.  That's a relatively minor issue, I think, but what other changes can we expect.  Will this have an impact on the AZAP site?  FYI just in case you haven't received any notices yet.

cpasley

Well in my line of work when google touches something its a good thing, google stuff doesnt break, cable one just trans all its customer to gmail email servers, as far as impact to AzAP unless google changes flickrs ability to copy photos in a BBC code format nothing would change

Rob Silliman

Google has NOT acquired Flickr.  Google is transforming Picnik, a web pased picture editing tool, as part of its Google+ platform.

Picnik has hooks into Flickr, via the Flickr API.  No idea of Google+ will have the same thing....

Chris Kennedy

Google is actually shutting down Picnik, in April. They have already incorporated some of its features into Google+. I don't think there is any connection between Google+ and Flickr. Google+ uses Picasa Web Albums.

Unless you are currently using Picnik to edit Flickr photos online, I don't think you will see any difference in Flickr.

This is what the Flickr Blog says about the situation.

Picnik
In a few months we will be moving away from Picnik. We know that you love editing your photos on Flickr and this transition doesn't, in any way, mean that there will no longer be editing capabilities. It's actually quite the opposite: we are working on making the editing experience even better on the site. We know you care about speed, simplicity and quality and this is exactly what we are working to provide you with. More on this soon, but we can't wait to show you what we have in store!
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Jay Beckman

Wonder if they'll offer the online Photoshop product (for a modest fee, of course...)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.