Remembering Eddie Packard - Falcon Field, Mesa, AZ - Jan. 29

Started by Ryan Keough, January 26, 2011, 12:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Keough

Hello all,

For those of you who have been involved or know the warbird activity around the Phoenix, AZ area, specifically Mesa's Falcon Field (FFZ), you most likely know of the Packard family and their warbird maintenance & restoration business, Air Response, on the Northeast side of the field. Gene Packard, operated and maintained many of the working warbirds from the field and around the region after WWII into the 80s when many were sprayers and firebombers including many of the B-17's that were sold at the Globe Air auction in 1985. He passed the business and his talent on to his son Eddie, who continued the business and was well-known for radial-engine rebuilds, parts & components, and maintenance and restoration of many warbirds including the B-25H Mitchell "Barbie III" when she operated from Falcon Field up until a few years ago. Eddie's son, Billy, also learned a lot from his father and worked along side him on many of the projects at Air Response in the past decade.

I am sad to report that we lost Eddie Packard on January 16th after his long battle with cancer. I have been asked by his family and many friends in the warbird community to invite anyone who is able to attend, to join his family and friends on Saturday, January 29th for a celebration of Eddies life at the Arizona Wing Hangar of the Commemorative Air Force at Falcon Field starting around 5:00pm. There will be a memorial flyover between 5:15 and 5:30 of P-51's, AT-6's and an F8F Bearcat and Billy Packard will be doing a eulogy for his dad around 5:30pm after the flyover. Many of Eddie's friends in the warbird community from near and far will be attending and we invite everyone to come and join them to celebrate Eddies life.

The Memorial Celebration of Eddie Packard will be held on Saturday, January 29th from 5:00pm to 7:00pm at the CAF Arizona Wing Hangar at Falcon Field - 2017 N. Greenfield Road Mesa, Arizona 85215. For directions, please click on this link for a Google Maps link: http://bit.ly/e8P4bR

His obituary may be found at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azcentral/obituary.aspx?n=edward-j-packard&pid=148091945&fhid=11255 - If you are unable to attend, but wish to send your thoughts to the Packard family, please visit his online tribute page at Mariposa Gardens at: http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Edward-Packard&lc=4584&pid=147919378&mid=4520025&locale=en-US

Thank you,
Ryan Keough
Ryan Keough
Tucson, AZ

Dave S.

From this weekend's memorial service for Eddie Packard, 3 x T-6/SNJ's and the TBM executing the missing man formation...

Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Joe Copalman

Dang!  I missed this while arguing with that meathead.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Dave S.

I guess I didn't qualify for harassment?   ???

Maybe I can wear a hoodie next time?
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses