Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This board needs a general BS thread  (Read 3826 times)
Tower Guy
AzAP Contributor - 2000 Posts

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 12:11:47 PM »

Because when you  don't have the ear muffs on you look like a geek with sunburned ears!  Grin
scottcolbath
AzAP Contributor - 1000 Posts

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 09:23:39 AM »

Well, after seven glorious, trouble free years, my 27" iMac may be done.

The video card seems to have failed. Apple no longer supports my iMac due to age. The only place for replacement parts is Ebay. A used video card can cost between $200 and $400. I then have to pay someone to install it, because I'm told the display, when exposed during the replacement process, needs to be in a clean room. If not done in a clean room (or at least a room that isn't filled with pet hair and dust), the back of the display will attract all sorts of shit, which will be visible when I turn this thing back on after the repair.

So, I'm no considering just bricking the friggin' thing and looking at going back to a Windows platform. Can anyone suggest reasonable priced 'pooters with a good screen for photo editing?

S.C.
Anna M. Wood
Executive Committee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 04:31:02 PM »

The video card seems to have failed. Apple no longer supports my iMac due to age. The only place for replacement parts is Ebay. A used video card can cost between $200 and $400. I then have to pay someone to install it, because I'm told the display, when exposed during the replacement process, needs to be in a clean room. If not done in a clean room (or at least a room that isn't filled with pet hair and dust), the back of the display will attract all sorts of shit, which will be visible when I turn this thing back on after the repair.

So, I'm no considering just bricking the friggin' thing and looking at going back to a Windows platform. Can anyone suggest reasonable priced 'pooters with a good screen for photo editing?

S.C.

What is your budget?

Anna M. Wood
http://www.AnnaMWood.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/solidmuse
All images Anna M. Wood, all rights reserved.
scottcolbath

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 08:59:02 AM »

S.C.

What is your budget?

I got it fixed at MacMedia for about $500. Hopefully this holds me over for a while longer. I'll buy another iMac in a heartbeat,  but I am just not ready to spend that kind of money just yet. I was feeling desperate when I mentioned going to a Winderz computer.  Grin

S.C.
scottcolbath

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 06:24:00 AM »

For $70, I'm tempted just so I can play around with this thing.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/635568-REG/Bower_SLY5008_500mm_f_8_Preset.html

S.C.
scottcolbath

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 06:23:24 AM »

Well, this seems like as good a place as any to post this. I'll be officially divorced as of this coming Wednesday.

I didn't want it. It sucks. But I could not live the life I have been living for the past ten or so years any longer. Sadly, the wife is a raging alcoholic, with no indications of trying to fix this issue. She has been in rehab plenty of times, and I spent a good portion of the last 15 years, and a shitload of money, trying to help her through this.

So, to all you hot single bitches out there, I'm back on the market.  Grin

But for now, I'm actually still living with her. I'm looking at new places now, and hope to have a move in date of November 1st. If any of you know of a four car garage with a cot for rent, let me know.  Cool
Seriously, I need a place that has at least a two car garage. I don't care about square footage of the living space. I don't need a pool. I just need a place to put the Vette and motorcycles, and a place to lay my head at night for now. I figure for the first year, I need nothing more than a place to land after the dust settles. I'll need to start rebuilding my retirement account, since she got almost the entire  thing. So, nothing fancy is needed.

Something that I want to work on once I'm out on my own, is to get more serious about my photography. Through all the years I've been doing this, it's always felt like a half-assed effort to me. That is mostly because of the fact that my married life and all the baggage that has come with hit, has been a giant distraction. As a result, I have spent less time than I should have working on developing my skills taking pictures, and processing them after the fact. I also want to spend more time out taking pictures. The last couple of years have been real lean. Time to change these things.

If anyone else here has some advice for this new endeavor I'm about to take on, chime in.

S.C.
Mike Margolis
AzAP Contributor - 250 Posts

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 12:55:22 AM »

S.C.

What is your budget?

I got it fixed at MacMedia for about $500. Hopefully this holds me over for a while longer. I'll buy another iMac in a heartbeat,  but I am just not ready to spend that kind of money just yet. I was feeling desperate when I mentioned going to a Winderz computer.  Grin

S.C.

Just went through the same thing with my mid-2011 build 27" iMac... After checking out doing it myself or using "a guy" in SAN, I paid Apple to fix it. Hope it lasts for a while - will gladly buy another, but hopefully not for a while.

"Could be worse... Could be raining."
Mike Margolis
AzAP Contributor - 250 Posts

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 01:07:38 AM »

Well, this seems like as good a place as any to post this. I'll be officially divorced as of this coming Wednesday...

That sucks!! I went through it ending in '09. She got MY house, more than half of "my" retirement, and tried really hard to destroy everything on the way out... It was quite brutal - and the lawyers cost a small fortune. But. Looking back. It was the best thing (besides my great kids) that happened over 25 years of (that) marriage. After the dust settled and I regrouped, I put myself "out there" and found Margaret!! Life has been fantastic and damn near perfect ever since!! Soo thankful!! Wish you the best buddy!!

"Could be worse... Could be raining."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc