Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Historical Photos  (Read 23280 times)
Jeff D. Welker
Executive Committee
AzAP Contributor - 2000 Posts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 04:29:00 PM »

A Convair 880 at Gate 10, Terminal 1, at PHX on a cold and stormy November day in 1961.  According to the FAA registration records, this is serial number 002.  This particular Convair was taking my uncle to his new USAF assignment in Germany.  He was a navigator on a B-29 and their group got sent to Germany while Dad had to stay in Arizona.  Dad was not happy about missing going overseas, but he wished his brother well.  I apologize for the dirty negative.  It will take some serious scrubbing to get all the dirt off the emulsion.  I'll post a clean version after I had time to wash and rescan.

* Convair 880.jpg (338.78 KB, 1400x1120 - viewed 143 times.)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:45:18 PM by Jeff D. Welker » Logged

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.
Jeff D. Welker
Executive Committee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 07:44:49 PM »

November 1, 1961 - Gate 10, Terminal One, Sky Harbor Airport - Pre TSA.  The family gathered to bid farewell to my uncle as he departed to his new USAF assignment in Germany.  I'm the young fellow in the light-colored clothing.  Yes sir, you used to be able to walk-up that close to departing/arriving aircraft.  Our cars were parked less than 50 yards from this location.  The good old days  Wink

* Farewell.jpg (371 KB, 1400x1274 - viewed 154 times.)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 08:42:12 PM by Jeff D. Welker » Logged

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

scottcolbath
AzAP Contributor - 1000 Posts

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 07:49:31 AM »

This is the best thread on AzAP.

S.C.
Jeff D. Welker
Executive Committee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 04:40:43 PM »

December 1964 - Dad did some A2A work for the Army Guard at Papago. Even though he was USAF, one of Dad's hunting buddies was the CO at Papago. According to Dad's notes, these boys had just returned from a tour in Vietnam and wanted a few shots for their album. That is Roosevelt Lake in the background. He was shooting Tri-X 320 in his Graflex XLRF. Not bad for a medium format rangefinder. I proud to say, Dad was a darn good shooter  Grin

* Cessna O-1A Bird Dog.jpg (356.31 KB, 1100x786 - viewed 98 times.)

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 07:25:24 PM »

Jeff, congrats to your father, great shot with that equipment. The composition with the lake as a background makes for a cool shot.
Anna M. Wood
AzAP Contributor - 1000 Posts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 07:46:17 PM »

December 1964 - Dad did some A2A work for the Army Guard at Papago. Even though he was USAF, one of Dad's hunting buddies was the CO at Papago. According to Dad's notes, these boys had just returned from a tour in Vietnam and wanted a few shots for their album. That is Roosevelt Lake in the background. He was shooting Tri-X 320 in his Graflex XLRF. Not bad for a medium format rangefinder. I proud to say, Dad was a darn good shooter  Grin

WOW!!!   Is that a great image.   Your dad was a good shooter is an understatement.   Smiley

Anna M. Wood
http://www.AnnaMWood.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/solidmuse
All images Anna M. Wood, all rights reserved.
Jeff D. Welker
Executive Committee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 07:57:45 PM »

Jeff, congrats to your father, great shot with that equipment. The composition with the lake as a background makes for a cool shot.

WOW!!!   Is that a great image.   Your dad was a good shooter is an understatement.   Smiley

Thanks Harvey and Anna.  For those who may not know what a Graflex XLFR looks like, here is an example of what my Dad was using. It is a beast of a range finder camera, but once you got the hang of it, you could take some terrific photographs. Dad photographed most of my high school football games and track meets with one of these bad boys.

* mvc006.jpg (36.43 KB, 640x480 - viewed 76 times.)

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

www.scyphoto.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 09:14:12 PM »

Jeff, Outstanding shot of the Bird Dog! I never realized just how high the pilot sits in the cockpit compared to other Cessnas. Suppose it makes sense for an observation aircraft. I was inspired by this to dig out a shot taken 20 years later at the Papago ANG base.  February 1984. 

* Bell AH-1G Cobra_February 1984_Lr_b.jpg (344.06 KB, 1600x969 - viewed 87 times.)

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved
Jeff D. Welker
Executive Committee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 10:44:16 PM »

Jeff, Outstanding shot of the Bird Dog! I never realized just how high the pilot sits in the cockpit compared to other Cessnas. Suppose it makes sense for an observation aircraft. I was inspired by this to dig out a shot taken 20 years later at the Papago ANG base.  February 1984. 

Thank you Scott.  Because of my father's relationship with the CO at Papago, I got to visit their ramp a few times.  Love your shot of the Cobras.  Nice touch with the Queen Air in the background.  I miss the fixed-wing aircraft that used to fly out of Papago on a regular basis.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
AzAP Contributor - 5000 Posts

imablimpcaptain
View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 03:52:33 PM »

Love that Cobra shot, Scott.  Around that same time I had visited Papago with my Indian Guides 'tribe' and remember my dad being very impressed with the fact that the film he was shooting and shutter speed he was using completely froze the rotors.  I should try and find some of those.

For captioning purposes, I'm pretty sure they were flying AH-1S model Cobras at that point, not Gs.  (Most S-models were converted from Gs and kept their original serials). 

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc