News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 29 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Firefighting Tankers and Support Aircraft

Started by Matt Ottosen, September 27, 2009, 11:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jslugman

5-bladed turboprop DC-3..... just magical!
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

bilwor

Sikorsky S-64E Skycrane N164AC Erickson Air-Crane  Libby Army Air Field Sierra Vista 05/26/11
You take the fence or you don't take the photo.
bill word
Tucson, AZ

Chris Kennedy

Are these firefighting aircraft working on the fire down in the SE corner of the state?
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

bilwor

Yes they are fighting the Arlene Fire 2.5 miles from Parker Canyon Lake  and the Horseshoe 2 fire in the Chiricahua mountains.
bill word
Tucson, AZ

Chris Kennedy

Quote from: bilwor on May 28, 2011, 02:30:24 PM
Yes they are fighting the Arlene Fire 2.5 miles from Parker Canyon Lake  and the Horseshoe 2 fire in the Chiricahua mountains.

I thought they must be. Thanks!
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

cpasley

I didnt see the fence, all I saw was that huge orange helicopter

David Loera

You don't concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done.
Chuck Yeager

David "Wiz" Loera
Mesa, AZ
All images © David Loera, all rights reserved.

cpasley

FANTASTIC! nice one david, good catch on a bird not native to our neck of the woods

Brian Lockett

There was limited tanker activity at the Winslow Tanker Station on Monday and Tuesday.  The station was deserted about 11:00 AM on Monday.  I returned at 2:30 PM.  Aero Union Lockheed P-3A-45 Orion N921AU Tanker 21 had just landed.

Erickson Air Crane Sikosky S-64F Skycrane N158AC is operating as a fuel tender.

Minden Air SP-2H Neptune N4692A Tanker 48 and a second P-2 landed and parked soon afterward.

Tanker 21 departed at 2:45 PM.  There was no further activity before I left about an hour later.

Tanker 21 was the only airplane at the tanker station when I arrived on Tuesday morning.

Tanker 21 departed at 10:11 AM.  There was no further activity before I left at noon.

Joe Copalman

Looks like they were using RWY22 then?  Paul and I found a great spot for 22 departures, and the FBO seemed to be the best spot for 22 arrivals.  Glad you at least caught SOMETHING moving.

You didn't happen to see two 4' ladders laying around up there, did you?   :-\
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Brian Lockett

Quote from: Joe Copalman on June 15, 2011, 03:25:38 PM
Looks like they were using RWY22 then?  Paul and I found a great spot for 22 departures, and the FBO seemed to be the best spot for 22 arrivals.  Glad you at least caught SOMETHING moving.

You didn't happen to see two 4' ladders laying around up there, did you?   :-\

The tanker operations that I saw were all off Runway 22.  I didn't have time to get around to the west side of the airport before Tanker 21 took off both days.  Caliente Drive looks like it has a good view of departures from Runway 22.

I was looking for lost ladders while I was there, but I didn't see any.

Joe Copalman

Roger that on Caliente, just north of the junkyard.  Looked like it would have been perfect, especially in the afternoon. 

Not too much of a bummer on the ladders - both were bent and slightly wobbly.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Ned Harris

Air Tractor AT-802A Single Engine Air Tanker.
Libby Army airfield, 6-15-11.

_92W0822 Air Tractor AT-802A by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Ned Harris

Lockheed SP-2H Neptune heading towards the Monument Fire. 8/17/11.

_92W1675 Tanker 55 (N355MA) by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

bilwor

Bell 209 Cobra N109Z USDA Forest Service (Bell AH-1G-BF Cobra US Army 69-16422 cn 29854. Converted to AH-1F. To US Forest Service in 2003 as Bell 209 N109Z.)  Libby Army Air Base 06/21/11

bill word
Tucson, AZ