NAF El Centro - Photography Policy - Please Read Before Visiting NAFEC

Started by Joe Copalman, September 23, 2011, 11:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

This is for all AzAP members, forum lurkers, and anyone else who may be planning a trip to NAF El Centro for off-base photography.  This comes directly from Michelle at the Public Affairs office and clearly states the guidelines for photography out there.  While Michelle does not mention this specifically in the message, photographing the flightline or the main gate from off-base is generally frowned upon.  If you are visiting from outside the United States, please be aware that your actions may have consequences that impact locals long after you return home from your trip, so please do not try to push the boundaries of what is typically allowable.  For those who have never visited El Centro, there are enough members of AzAP and other aviation photography groups that have and would be more than happy to answer any questions about photography out there.  As with all other bases and airports we shoot at, we are by default extra sets of eyes out there along the fence, and we have a responsibility to report anything we see that looks suspicious or out-of-the-ordinary.  Michelle's message follows.

Aviation Photographers:

NAF El Centro has had an excellent long standing relationship with aviation photographers from around the world.  We have played host, over the years, to thousands of you from around the world, both on and off the installation.  With increasing security concerns, we are constantly trying to balance the needs of the installation with the desires of the photographers.  We, at NAFEC, believe that you are one of the best ways that we have to tell the story of our mission and the world class aviators that train here.  We are hopeful to be able to continue to that relationship.  

NAF El Centro offers aviation photography days for large groups, multiple times a year as well as playing host to smaller groups on a less frequent basis, when manning permits.  In addition, we have allowed photographers to photograph from outside the installation on an almost daily basis.  In order to be able to continue to do this in the future, we are asking for your continued assistance and wanted to remind everyone of our policy.  

Photocalls for shooting inside the installation and on the flight line will be announced in message forums by the group administrators.  

Requests for smaller tours should be made as far in advance as possible.

For shooting outside the installation:

Please call or email the NAFEC Public Affairs Office and let us know when you would like to be outside the fenceline and where you will be.

If you haven't been to the base in the last year, please be prepared to provide us with your information:  Full Name, Date of Birth, Driver's License Number and State of Issue.  For our foreign    visitors, I will also need your passport number.

Please let us know, if possible, what type of vehicle you will be driving.

Finally, be vigilant!  If you see someone or something that doesn't look right when you are out there, let us know.  

Thanks for all you do for us and we hope to be able to continue this relationship long into the future.

Very Respectfully,

Michelle R. Dee
NAF El Centro
Public Affairs Officer/Air Show Director
COM:  760-339-2519
CELL: 760-497-3523
EMAIL:  michelle.dee@navy.mil
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

AC2 Sanchez

I had a very good time today!  ;D

I can't wait to see who will be here for the over the field next year.
Stick time: 1941 Ryan, and 1943 Steerman. Best times of my life.