Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

bilwor

Bell/Boeing MV-22B Osprey 168012 YX-11 VMM-166 Sea Elk   WTI 1-13 MCAS Yuma

bill word
Tucson, AZ

Brian Lockett

Bell-Boeing MV-22B Osprey BuNo 167909 modex 07 of VMM-162 Golden Eagles at MCAS Yuma on October 23, 2012..

Jay Beckman

Caught "'between-ing" at Thunder Over Utah
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jeff D. Welker

^^^^ If this doesn't win the "Steady-Eddie" slow shutter speed panning award, I'm not sure what/who would. Great image Jay!
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Scott Youmans

Yes indeed.  What was that? Something like 1/30 sec?  Very nice.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Scott Youmans

I'd better play the lottery this week.  In truth I figured out once what shutter speed is required to get a full disk with an Osprey.  As I recall it turns out to be 1/15 sec for the rotor to turn 120 degrees.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jay Beckman

I'm not sure that even 1/15 would ensure full disc.  Those rotors are sooo big.

I've tried Sky Crane at 1/10 and that wasn't slow enough for a five-blade rotor head.

1/8 down to 1/4 is probably a safer bet.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Dave S.

The only reference to rotor speed that my friend Google and I could locate was for 332 rpm in forward flight (found in some NASA study).  To get 120 degrees at 332 rpm, Scott had it right - 1/15 of second.  This seems to jive with Jay's photo taken at 1/30; which gave about 60 degrees of rotation (or about 1/2 of what was needed for a full disc).  So, to double the rotation on a three bladed prop/rotor (60 -> 120), just double the time the shutter was open and that results in Scott's 1/15 shutter speed.

So Wow to Jay for holdin' her steady at 1/30!  Can we 'double' down on that and see who can get a steady shot at 1/15?

The next question, is rotor/prop speed relatively constant for the V-22, or does it vary depending upon flight regime/condition?
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

BillOz

Usually Turboshafts run at a fairly constant rpm throughout the flight regime, but this one may be a little different between vertical and horizontal ops.  Probably not much difference though, if any.

Info I found indicates a prop tip speed of 662 ft/s., which works out to 331 rpm, so that matches with the info you found Dave.

So a shutter speed of 1/15 should give just a little more overlap than a full disc.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Joe Copalman

It's been a while, and I wasn't taking notes, but I recall the V-22 ferry pilot we met at Willie telling Jack and I that rpm was constant and that power/speed were controlled through nacelle angle and blade pitch. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

That sounds correct. Fairly typical for gas turbines.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved