Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Started by Matt Ottosen, July 18, 2009, 10:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Ottosen

Registered to Fuel Fresh, Inc.
Mark Sherman from Phoenix, Arizona owns and operates this CF-104D (C/N 104633).

The CF-104D is a two-seat training version built for the RCAF by Lockheed.

The Lockheed F-104 Starfighter is the aircraft featured in the AzAP logo, and this CF-104 (based at KIWA) was a big part of that decision (and the fact they played a part in Luke AFB's flight training history).  There's not too many other places in the world that you can still see an F-104 in the air!

Here's another AzAP exclusive photo, you will not find this photo posted anywhere else!
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Joe Copalman

Matt, another reason for the F-104 on the logo was that the 161st flew F-104As out of PHX for a while, and even deployed to Germany at the height of the Berlin Crisis.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

David Loera

Phoenix-Mesa Gateway open house 2008
You don't concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done.
Chuck Yeager

David "Wiz" Loera
Mesa, AZ
All images © David Loera, all rights reserved.

BillOz

For these shots, I was 30 ft. from the runway edge, at about the 4000 ft. marker.  The Starfighter did 4-5 touch and go's, before landing.  Being so close was a little bit of a disadvantage, trying to pan very quickly, as it zips by at 250-300 knots.  But it was a heck of a rush, having it blast by so close, and oh, the howl it makes.  What a blast.  Could have been better in only one way.  If I was in the cockpit, not on the side of the runway.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Matt Ottosen

Wow Bill, awesome shots!  I hope Mark can get the CF-104 back in the air soon!

That howl is awesome, it was very cool to be so close when he did his engine run a few months ago!
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

BillOz

Thanks Matt,

The F-104 certainly does have an awesome sound.  To me, the F-104 is the ultimate look for an Interceptor aircraft.  Does anything look as fast as an F-104.   If there's anything that looks more like what a Fighter/Interceptor should look like, I can't think of what it might be.

This one's a little dark, but in this case the subject is the burner flames.
Bill Osmun

Joe Copalman

This is a short clip I shot during an engine run on the F-104, almost exactly a year ago.  Definitely worth a view/listen for those who have never heard the howl of a J79, and for those of you jonesing for a -104 fix.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Warbird Keith

N104 is sched. to be @  Reno Air Races for NAHI!

jslugman

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Joe Copalman

Kelly Johnson designed these whiz-bang pitot tube covers specifically for the F-104.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Two photos my father took of the F-104's that used to be stationed at the ANG Sky Harbor.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

phantomphan1974

Thanks for sharing Jeff.  Top one is sharp for being so old.  Love only slides, its a slide right?
Damon Duran
Co: Founder: Aviation Photographers of Southern California www.ApSoCal.com
Orange County Sheriff PSR-Air Support Unit Photographer

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: phantomphan1974 on January 25, 2011, 04:26:03 PM
Thanks for sharing Jeff.  Top one is sharp for being so old.  Love only slides, its a slide right?
Hey Damon - Glad you like the 104 photos. Sorry to disappoint; however, they are both scans from negatives. The USAF/ANG did not supply my dad with positive film - strictly negatives for his military assignments. The bottom one was simply in poor shape compared to the top one. I'll post others as I come across them in my father's collection. He loved the 104 and pointed his camera at them often.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

I finally got access to my father's negative files. Right off the bat I found a few b&w negatives of some F-104's. As far as I can tell from his records, my dad shot these photos in 1958. These Starfighters stopped at the AZNG base at Sky Harbor on their trip from Lockheed to George AFB in Victorville, California. My father's squadron was scheduled to get F-104's very soon so he was excited to see these birds winging their way west. Since they were not outfitted with fuel tanks, they had very short legs and needed to stop often on the trip. Dad took these photos with his Linhof 4x5 Master Technika. These 104's were part of the 434th TFS Red Devils. I used to spend some serious quality time playing on that ramp - I did not know how good I had it. More to come as I sift through literally thousands of negs.

Not a bad panning job for hand-holding a heavy 4x5 Linhof  ;D

As an interesting aside boys & girls, three of these photos (2 through 4) were all taken looking north. Today you would have seen terminals 2, 3 and 4 in the background. Photo #1 was taken looking west towards 24th Street.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

BillOz

Very cool stuff Jeff.  I love the -104.
Bill Osmun